Friday, February 4, 2011

Le Petit Prince


Good afternoon, all! I decided to start things off with one of my favourite books. If you took French in high school, you're probably already more familiar with it than you might like to be: it's Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Yes, it is a children's book, but I should probably mention that I never intended to only feature adult fiction on this blog. I enjoy reading all genres, so you will see adult fiction, non-fiction, young adult fiction, and (now that I have a young niece for whom I also buy books) children's books. Basically, if you aren't interested in something I review, sit tight and keep checking back --- you're bound to see something that strikes your fancy sooner or later.


The Little Prince is a story about a pilot whose plane goes down in a remote desert, where he meets a child - the little prince. The prince was living (mostly) alone on a tiny planet, content in his simple life. Upon the arrival of a vain and very high-maintenance flower, however, the peace of his routine is disrupted. He sets out on a journey, meeting all sorts of people who, practical though they think they may be, seem ultimately very silly to the prince. After a little while, though, he finally meets someone who lets him in on the secret about what is truly important.

It's a charming and timeless story, complete with some really cute watercolour illustrations. I try to remember its message any time I start to feel caught up in the petty dramas life can present, and re-reading always puts things into perspective. I actually love this book so much that I've started something of a collection:

 



If you haven't read Le Petit Prince, I definitely recommend it.

ISBN:
0152047263 (board books)
0152465030 (English)
0152164154 (French)
015601386X (German)
9780156014045 (Latin)
5267005797 (Russian)

ASIN:
B00G6RK0VU (English)
B00A823JO4 (French)

Publisher:
Harcourt Children's Books (board books)
Harcourt, Brace &Co. (English)
HMH Books for Young Readers (French)
Mariner Books (German)
Mariner Books (Latin)

Film Adaptations:

No comments:

Post a Comment