Wednesday, November 9, 2011

2012 Science Fiction Reader Challenge!


Okay, so I never thought I would be someone who participates in more than one reading challenge at a time.  BUT.  This is a science fiction reading challenge. How could I pass that up?  Answer:  I could not.  Besides, since the Mt TBR Challenge for 2012 is not genre-specific, and I can use the same book for both challenges, it works out!  I'm really excited about this one, because I do have a lot of sci-fi I've been wanting to get lost in.

There are only a few basic rules for this Sci-Fi Challenge:  

  • Challenge runs from 1 January 2012 until 31 December 2012.
  • Books started before 1 January DO NOT count for the challenge, but re-reads CAN count.
  • A review MUST be posted for each book read for the challenge - if you don't have a blog, it's no big deal, just post a review on any site that accepts book reviews!  GoodReads, Library Thing, and any online book retailer are some places you can post, and it's free to register for any of those, so knock yourself out!
  • There are 12 categories of science fiction for this challenge:  That's essentially just one book per month. Easy!

The categories are:
  1. Young Adult/Middle Grade Science Fiction title
  2. Adult Science Fiction title
  3. Hugo Winner
  4. Pre-1950s Science Fiction Classic
  5. Modern Science Fiction Classic (1951-1992)
  6. Steampunk
  7. Robots/Cyborgs/Androids
  8. Spaceships/Aliens
  9. Time Travel/Alternate History/Parallel Universe
  10. Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Utopian
  11. Cyberpunk
  12. Mad Scientists/Genetic Testing/Environmental Disaster
If you aren't sure what one of the categories is, or if you're just drawing a blank as to what you might want to read for a category, just visit our lovely host, Leslie, at Working for the Mandroid for some inspiration!  Under each category header on the main post for this challenge, there are links to lists of titles that will work.

I am really excited for 2012 to start now, so I can start on this challenge!  Check out my progress after the cut!




01.  The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (Time Travel/Alternate History/Parallel Universe)
02.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Utopian)
03.  Moonburn by Alisa Sheckley (Mad Scientists/Genetic Testing/Environmental Disaster)
04.  The Invasion by K.A. Applegate (Young Adult/Middle Grade Science Fiction title)
05.  The Call of Earth by Orson Scott Card (Adult Science Fiction Title)
06.  Neuromancer by William Gibson (Hugo Winner)
07.  Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Cyberpunk)
08.  Glory Alley and the Star Riders by C. Deanna Verhoff (Spaceships/Aliens)
09.  The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (Pre-1950s Science Fiction Classic)
10.
11.
12.





4 comments:

  1. Aww, you're taking on a reading challenge! I can't even tell you how awesome that is, Colleen! I've always wanted to try one out myself, but I'm actually really bad at choosing what book to read LOL. I always just start whatever's in front of me, or what I can get my hands on!

    I wish you the best of luck with this challenge, Colleen!! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo signing up for this one!

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Welcome to the challenge, Colleen! Thanks for spreading the word!

    Leslie
    Working for the Mandroid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to this one. I'm signing up, too.

    ReplyDelete